According to the American College of Prosthodontists (ACP), an estimated 36 million Americans do not have any remaining teeth. Missing teeth can cause you to feel self-conscious and significantly affect your ability to eat and speak normally. Left untreated, even a single missing tooth can have negative effects on your oral health. Dr. Albert Johnston in Anderson, OH, can design customized dentures for patients with extensive tooth loss. We also offer repairs and can convert your traditional denture into an implant-supported restoration. Our office works closely with a local lab to create dentures which mimic your natural smile and complement your unique facial features.
Why Replace Missing Teeth?
Missing teeth can have several effects on your oral and overall health, including:
- Misalignment: Remaining teeth can shift to fill in gaps left by missing teeth, resulting in misalignment.
- Difficulty Eating: Missing teeth can make it harder to enjoy your favorite foods, such as steak and apples.
- Nutritional Deficiency: If you are unable to enjoy certain healthy, crunchy foods, your overall nutrition may be affected.
- Bone Loss: Your jaw maintains its structure due to regenerative signals provided by your tooth roots. When you are missing teeth, the jaw will eventually begin to shrink and affect your facial structure.
Whether your missing teeth are a result of extensive decay, gum disease, or trauma, Dr. Johnston can address varying degrees of tooth loss and improve your overall quality of life.
Designing & Placing Your Denture
The sooner you seek treatment for missing teeth, the more options will be available to you. If you are only missing one or a few consecutive teeth, you may still be a good candidate for a dental crown or bridge. Patients with some remaining teeth might also benefit from a partial denture, rather than a full restoration.
Our office works closely with a local lab to create dentures which mimic your natural smile and complement your unique facial features.
Denture design and adjustments may be completed over the span of several appointments to ensure natural-looking results and a comfortable fit. Generally, your treatment plan will consist of several steps:
- Digital Impressions: We will obtain detailed measurements of your mouth to send to our trusted lab. Dr. Johnston will also provide information on the desired shade and other aesthetic details.
- Try-Ins: Once your dentures are fabricated, you will come back to our office to assess the fit and feel. Dr. Johnston will work with the lab to make adjustments as necessary.
- Final Delivery: Once we have achieved the ideal form and function, you will be ready to take your new denture home.
To maintain the denture's appearance and function, Dr. Johnston will instruct you on a proper maintenance routine. We also offer denture repair for patients who drop or fracture their restoration.